Saturday 16 May 2015

The Three Paint Battle!

 So last week I uploaded a video explaining the main differences and uses between the three main different types of paint used in makeup and special effects. There are many more such as inks and PAX paint, etc. But I'm not going into these today. If you want to see the full video, it's at the bottom of this post, but if not - I hope my little cheat sheet helps you! 


Mehron Water Activated Makeup Palette: Basic
  • These types of paint are activated and thinned using water, they're also removed by soap and water, baby wipes, anything will remove these really. 
  • They sweat off VERY easily. Although using setting/barrier sprays may help retain the wear.
  • This is the cheapest out of the three, and what I used to begin special effects with, they're like very very temporary versions of alcohol activated makeup if you want to compare it. Although it's not good for correcting skin tones and blending prosthetics, this is best for zombie makeups and bruises, things like that when your starting out, although I do find they look as if they sit on top of the skin, rather than dissolving into the skin like AAM, which isn't great for HD camera work, but for photography, it should be fine if there's a retoucher to create the realistic effect.

Kryolan Supracolor 24 Palette: N
  • I was so happy to get these when I did! They're the next step when doing FX and character makeups in my opinion, they're not activated by anything, they blend out nicely or can be applied thick, they can be set with translucent powders, eyeshadows and setting sprays. 
  • I've noticed these last one hell of alot better than the water activated paints but if not set correctly and not maintained, they will smudge off if you knock them. 
  • I'm not a fan of using these to blend prosthetics into the skin as I find they're too thick (although can be thinned with 99% alcohol) but I prefer filling in wounds with these and colours blend together nicely without getting too muddy to add a nice amount of depth. 
  • These are also fantastic for character and stage makeups due to the thickness of them - I've used these palettes completely on Panto Dames and Panto Villains before and they've held up really nicely and look great from a distance. Of course you can make effects with this look realistic, but you only need a VERY tiny amount, they're so pigmented, you won't believe it until you make the mistake of picking up loads of one colour.


Mr Dashbo FX Alcohol Activated Makeup Palette: Bloody Hell 

  • These are the newest edition to my kit and already my favourite, due to the fact of how realistic they look on the skin, obviously not how I've swatched them but I was just showing that as an example, but I mean when used correctly. 
  • These don't sweat or smudge off once dry, they have to be removed with a prosthetic makeup remover, or on myself I just use 99% alcohol as my skin isn't sensitive too it, but I wouldn't recommend this on clients, give something like 'Ben Nye Bond Off!' a go, that should take it off.
  • These are fantastic for things that should look part of the skin, anything from bruises, to blending gelatine and silicone prosthetics. Just like the water activated paints, they can be diluted but with 99% alcohol, there's some examples of this in the swatches, and they can be diluted much more to make even thinner 'washes' that are very translucent.
  • I've learnt recently they can be used to realistically cover tattoos, but I'm yet to try this. 
  • These are great for HD film and TV work because of the way they blend into and become apart of the skin and look great in closeups when used correctly.
  • MOST alcohol activated makeup come with 'For Professional Use Only' printed somewhere on the packaging, this is mainly for health and safety as 99% alcohol can be very damaging to the skin and eyes. Please, if your not professional, do your research before using the palettes and really get to know the health and safety practises before using them on anyone other than yourself, don't use these around the eyes (use the greasepaint) - things like that. Accidents DO happen!
I hope this was somewhat a helpful read for anyone interested in FX/Character Makeup/Bodypainting and anyone who is new to the world of these paints, I hope you've learnt something and do feel free to ask me any questions you may have, I'd be more than happy to help! To see my video on these paints check the link below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment